Today I found myself wondering, what is Christmas without a yummy gingerbread man? :) And I'm pretty sure that's not much of a Christmas at all! So here's a very easy DIY recipe for all of you, to bake your own gingerbread men at home :)
So let's get started!
What do you need?
300 g of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
125 g of unsalted butter
100 g of soft light brown sugar
3 tablespoons of golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC, and line two baking sheets with baking paper. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda and the spices.
2. Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves, then add it to the dry ingredients. Stir in until it forms a stiff dough, then cut it in half. If the dough is too crumbly, add a little bit of water.
3. Transfer the paper from the baking sheets to a work surface and place a portion of the dough on each. Roll out to 5mm thick, then cut out directly on the paper, leaving a 2 cm gap between each. Save the cuttings to make more gingerbread men.
4. Carefully lift the papers back onto the baking sheets and bake the gingerbread in the oven for about 12 minutes.
5. Leave to cool on the sheet for a few minutes – if you want to hang them as decorations, now is the time to pierce a hole through the top of each with a skewer – then move to a wire rack.
6. Once cool, ice the gingerbread men and decorate with sprinkles, sugar, sweets, edible glitter, or however you like :)
Don't forget to let me know how these turned out for you! :)